Mordecai L. Cochrane

CORRECTED: A Spokane man facing two counts of rape in Boundary County was arrested twice last week for DUI in Spokane. This week, six Spokane Police officers involved in his arrests and his cell mate are under self quarantine after Mordecai L. Cochrane, 21, tested positive for COVID-19.

Cochrane was arrested at about 3:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 20, near Longfellow Avenue and Ash Street after a caller reported a Toyota Avalon left running for more than four hours.

Officers found Cochrane passed out behind the wheel, and he told them he'd consumed a fifth of whisky.

He was booked into the Spokane County Jail and as part of the booking process, he was tested for COVID-19. As he was not symptomatic, he was released after 12 hours.

He was arrested again on Monday, May 25, after a stop for no tail lights found him apparently under the influence again, with a test showing his blood-alcohol level over twice the legal limit.

Once in custody, he told police he had tested positive for COVID-19 and that he was supposed to be under quarantine until the end of this week.

By then, the earlier jail test had returned positive.

Cochrane is employed at the Philadelphia Macoroni Comany in Spokane, a COVID-19 hot spot where at least 35 workers have tested positive.

He was charged in Boundary County September 3, 2019, with two counts of rape, one count of dispensing alcohol to minors and DUI.

On the charge of DUI, he's accused of being in physical control of a green 2001 Toyota Corolla on Highway 95 the same day, and registering .160 and .165 blood alcohol content on breathalyzer tests.

As he was being arrested, a man pulled over and told the Bonners Ferry Police Officer effecting the stop that Cochrane had raped his daughter.

According to court records, earlier that day, Cochrane had allegedly provided alcohol to two 19 year old girls and raped both.

He allegedly pushed both to a concrete floor, banging their heads multiple times as both resisted.

His bond was set at $210,000 and he eventually pled guilty to the alcohol charges and a trial February 12 ended in mistrial.

On February 20, charges were refiled, but the subsequent trial, set for June 9, was vacated due to the COVID-19 pandemic and three days was set for a new trial beginning October 13.

He was released without bond.


Mike Weland has been a journalist since serving as battalion Hometown News specialist in the Army's 82nd Airborne Division beginning in 1979. He is publisher, editor and reporter at, which he launched in March, 2018.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.